One of the more common pieces of software used by companies is the office suite, more specifically, Microsoft Office. A reason Office is so popular is because of the wide variety of features that allow users to do pretty much any task. The cloud based version, Office 365, makes it even easier with some interesting features that integrate mobile systems, and more specifically text messages.
Did you know that Outlook for Office 365 can send you text message alerts? To achieve this you need to first establish a rule for Outlook Web Access/App (OWA) – Office 365’s webmail (browser) version of Outlook.
There are two classes of notification you can set up: Notifications for calendars, or notifications for email. When you create a rule, you will receive a text message whenever the rule’s parameters are met.
Here’s how you can set this feature up:
- Open Outlook Web Access in your browser. The standard address is usually: https://mail.yourcompanydomain.com/owa. It’s important to note that you need to go to Outlook Web Access.
- Log in using your Office 365 username and password.
- Select Options – located in the top-right of the window – followed by See All Options.
- Click Phone from the list on the left side of the window and then Text Messaging.
- Pressing Turn on Notifications, selecting your Locale: and finally your Mobile Operator.
- Press Next and enter your phone number with the area code, and without the country code.
- Click Next again and check your phone. You should get a pass code in a text message that you will need to enter. After you receive this, press Finish.
Setting up rules
After you have set up OWA to send you text messages, you can look into the two different types of alerts. As mentioned above, the first are calendar alerts. Pressing Set up Calendar notifications will allow you to establish rules related to your calendar. For example, you can create a rule where you will receive a text message when you have a meeting scheduled with a specific client or employee.
If you would like to receive text message alerts for your email, you can click on Set up email notifications using an Inbox rule. You have many different rules you can set up. For example: You can make a rule to receive a text whenever you get an email that contains the words: Update.
To get the most out of these features we suggest you play around with them and come up with something that works for you. Don’t go overboard though, as you probably don’t want to be receiving text messages every few minutes. Also, it’s important to be aware of how your mobile carrier charges for texts. If you get charged for incoming texts, this feature could cause your mobile bills to skyrocket. Interested in learning more about what Office 365 can bring to your business? Give us a shout, we can help.