Modern computer programs contain so many features that it can be hard actually figuring out what is useful and what isn’t. One of the more important things businesses look for in software is security. Take for example Microsoft Office 365; a cloud based office suite. Because Office 365 is based in the cloud, many question the security of the programs. One way Microsoft ensures a higher standard of security is by incorporating a feature that forces users to change their password every 90 days.
Here’s how you can change your password and update it on all your devices and programs.
Before the password expires
- In a Web browser of your choice go to your Office 365 portal. You should be able to access it by navigating to portal.microsoftonline.com.
- Log in and click My Profile which is located in the top-right of the screen near your name.
- Click Change password and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Sign in to your Web based email app and ensure that you can connect to your account. You will be asked to type a new password when you navigate to the website.
- OPTIONAL: Navigate to the email account settings on your mobile device and select your Office 365 account. From there you should be able to change your password to the one you entered in the portal above. If you don’t use Office 365 on your mobile device, you don’t have to do this step. If you do, it’s recommended that you change the password on all devices you use to connect to Office 365.
If you have set up Office 365 to prompt you to change your password on a regular basis, it should be changed. You will get reminders to do so, but sometimes you may miss the update notification. If you do, your password will expire. When this happens you will have to go to portal.microsoftonline.com and try to log in with your username and password. You should be given a message saying that your password has expired, along with a prompt to update it. Follow the steps to update your password, and be sure to follow steps four and five above.
There are many great features offered by Microsoft Office 365. If you are looking to update from an older version of Office and are interested in a great office software suite, please contact us, we can help.