Buying technology for your business can be one of the toughest things to do. Itâ€™s constantly changing and in truth, a rather poor, yet necessary long term investment. Beyond that, almost every manufacturer makes models aimed at the personal use market and business oriented products. While the consumer products look like they could fit the bill, itâ€™s not a good idea for businesses to pursue this option.
Here are five reasons you, as small businesses owners, should aim to buy technological solutions and products that are specifically designed to meet your needs, not those of the masses.
- Long-term time and money costs. In general, consumer grade technology is made using cheaper, less durable materials than that of the business equivalent. More often than not, consumer products will break down long before business grade. When they do, youâ€™re stuck paying for the replacement parts or sending the unit in for repair. Beyond that youâ€™ll also have to spend the valuable time dealing with the problem.
- Greater ability to recover costs. Business technology does cost more, however, itâ€™s made with better materials that increase product life. Beyond that it decreases the need for maintenance and will make it more appealing to buyers when you sell it, thus allowing you a higher chance of recovering costs.
- More features. The problem with technology developed for the consumer market is that itâ€™s often developed with features that will be the most useful to the majority. This could be a problem for companies as youâ€™ll be paying for features you donâ€™t need, while lacking ones that you do need. Many business devices also have features that can be tailored to meet a business’s needs, or offer devices with increased functionality.
- Warranty. The majority of consumer tech has a limited to non-existent warranty. Many laptops have one year limited warranties that, in truth, cover very little. Business hardware can have a standard three year factory warranty which guarantees the device wonâ€™t break for three years. Aside from that, many vendors will send someone to repair the device within the next day, if you buy business grade.
- The best customer support. Itâ€™s a high probability that youâ€™ve had a device break and had the wonderful opportunity of dealing with consumer technical service. This is not the case for the majority of business hardware and software developers. Many companies provide 24/7 support and have employees who understand that your technology is essential to operations, and will work to get your system back as fast as possible.
While in the short term, it may seem like a good idea to buy consumer technology, itâ€™s a solution with long-term drawbacks. If you are looking for new technology but donâ€™t know where to start, please contact us we can help.