When we try to think of useful business applications we can normally come up with a long list, but one of the most underappreciated apps is the calendar. Managers and employees alike rely on the calendar to see what needs to be done and by when. One thing weâ€™d like to do is to view all our calendars on our smartphone. On the iPhone you can do just that.
The three most popular calendar programs are Outlook Calendar, Google Calendar and iCal. Here are the steps you can take to sync your different calendars with the iPhone. These calendars will all be viewable using the Calendar App on your iPhone.
Sync with Outlook
Microsoft Outlook is the most popular email program in use, making the accompanying calendar just as prevalent. To sync your Outlook calendar with your iPhone:
- Open Outlook
- ClickÂ Tools and selectÂ Trust Centre.
- ClickÂ Add-ins, followed byÂ Details.
- Select iTunes Add-in, followed byÂ Manage.
- SelectÂ Com Add-ins, Go and finallyÂ iTunes sync add-in.
- ClickÂ Ok.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer using the USB cable. iTunes should open automatically.
- In iTunes, select your iPhone. It will be located in the left hand bar, under devices.
- Navigate to theÂ Info tab and checkÂ Sync calendars with.
- ChooseÂ Outlook. Youâ€™ll be able to select which Outlook calendars you want to view using your iPhone.
- PressÂ Sync.
Sync with Google Calendar
If you use Google Calendar, syncing with the iPhone takes a few more steps, but itâ€™s still fairly straightforward.
- On your iPhone selectÂ Settings followed byÂ Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- PressÂ Add Account.
- SelectÂ Microsoft Exchange. Note: Devices running iOS 4.0 can sync with more than one Exchange account. If youâ€™re using a version thatâ€™s earlier than 4.0 youâ€™ll only be able to sync with one Exchange account.
- In theÂ Email andÂ Username fields, enter your full email address e.g., [email protected] If you use a @googlemail.com account youâ€™ll most likely get an Unable to Verify Certificate error message. If you do, pressÂ Cancel when the error message is displayed.
- In theÂ Password field enter the password you use to log into your Gmail account.
- When you have entered the information, pressÂ Next in the top right of your screen.
- In theÂ Server field enter â€œm.google.comâ€ (without the quotations).
- TapÂ Next.
- Select Calendar if you only want to sync with your calendar. If your company uses Google Calendar to setup meetings, youâ€™ll also need to turn on Mail.
The calendar should sync automatically and show up on your iPhone within a few minutes.
Sync with iCal
If you use iCal you can sync with your iPhone by:
- Plugging your iPhone into the computer using the USB cable. iTunes should open automatically.
- Select your iPhone. It will be located in the left hand bar, underÂ devices.
- Click theÂ Info tab, followed byÂ Sync iCal Calendars. Youâ€™ll be able to choose what calendars you would like your iPhone to sync with.
- PressÂ Sync.
No matter which calendar app you use, you can view it on your iPhone. Thereâ€™s no need to carry around a day planner or appointment book with you anymore, just carry your phone. If you would like to know more about how to capitalize on the features of the iPhone weâ€™re only a call away.