If someone asks you a question that you donâ€™t know the answer to, the common reply is, â€œI donâ€™t know, Google it.â€ Googleâ€™s search has become our go-to source for nearly everything. Want to know what the weatherâ€™s like outside? Donâ€™t bother looking out the window, Google it. Despite how much we use it, at times we can be inefficient with our searches.
Here are seven tips to help you Google like an expert.
- Exact phrase. If youâ€™re looking for a specific topic, Mobile Internet for example, itâ€™s easier to put the search into quotations i.e., â€œMobile Internetâ€. This will tell Google to return results that match the words.
- Exclude words. When you conduct searches for general information, youâ€™ll often get unwanted results. Letâ€™s say you are looking for marketing information and donâ€™t want results that have the term â€œsalesâ€ in them. Type in Marketing -Sales, and Google will return marketing results without sales. Note: donâ€™t have a space between – and the term you want to exclude.
- Search similar. If youâ€™re looking for a topic and would also like to search for similar words, put a ~ in your search. e.g., â€œ~Businessâ€. Google will return business results as well as results for synonyms.
- Search between dates. To find results for something over a period of time put the dates separated by â€œ..â€ (two periods) e.g., â€œ1999 ..2012â€
- Wildcard search. A wildcard is used to substitute a word in your search. Google has designated * as the wild card. When you enter a wildcard, Google will essentially fill in the blank.
- Define:. For words you donâ€™t know the meaning of, you can have the definition comeback as the number one result by entering â€œdefine: wordâ€.
- Think like a website. Itâ€™s best to not ask questions when youâ€™re searching for something. Rather, look for the results. If have back pain and enter, â€œMy back hurts. Whatâ€™s a good pain reliever?â€ Youâ€™ll find the result, but it may take a few pages of searching. You should instead enter: â€œBack pain relieverâ€.
With these search methods youâ€™ll be able to find the information you want quicker. For more tips on how to use Google Search, and other Google apps, to their maximum potential please contact us.